This course will develop your skills and talents as a performer while equipping you with a wide range of theatre-making and production skills that give you the ability to put your creative ideas into action.
You’ll study the key processes and principles of the practice and study of performance and production as well as a diverse range of critical, cultural and historical perspectives on theatre as a live art form. You’ll also learn how these are applied or considered in performance practice. You’ll explore ethical approaches to theatre-making and the role of critical analysis in your and others’ design practice, and be introduced to professional networks, contexts and organisations relevant to your future career.
During your studies, you’ll develop and refine a broad portfolio of skills, methods, techniques and crafts in performance and production practices. You’ll gain the key entrepreneurial and administrative skills required for a career in the creative industries, and develop an individual approach to delivering highly creative work underpinned by innovation and critical insight.
What will you gain?
This degree will give you the opportunity to develop a solid knowledge of the professional skills and theories around areas such as acting, performing, producing, fundraising, artistic policies and audience development. Your physical and vocal performance skills will also be enhanced and developed as well as the practical approaches to acting, directing and devising performances.
You’ll learn to facilitate workshops, collaborate in theatre making and gain an understanding of the key practitioners and concepts in devised performance and text based theatre.
- Introduction to Acting and Performance (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Introduction to Design and Production (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Perspectives on Theatre (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Making Theatre (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Theatre Industry: Applied Practices (30 credits) – Compulsory
- The Performance and Director (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Performance Project (30 credits) – Compulsory
- The Scenographer (30 credits) – Optional
- The Solo Performer (30 credits) – Optional
- The Writer and Dramaturg (30 credits) – Optional
- Theatre Industry: Placement and Portfolio (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Performance: Body and Training * (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Theatre Festival (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Directing: Practices and Philosophies ** (30 credits) – Optional
- Solo: Stand-up Comedy / Performance Art (30 credits) – Optional
- Theatre Laboratory (30 credits) – Optional