This degree encourages you to use your imagination and experiment at the same time as developing your skills. Throughout the course you will undertake a range of projects covering studio photography, portraiture, lighting and art direction, location shoots, landscape photography, sports and events, still life photography, fashion photography, architectural photography, urban landscape, reportage and photojournalism. With every project you are required to give a critical perspective of your own work.
Your first year explores photography through eight different projects that will give you the opportunity to investigate different approaches including black and white photography, digital imaging and hand colour printing. In your second year you will work on themed projects where you will be able to develop your own style and hone your skills. For example, photographing an area of London that is new to you or photographing different types of people. By your final year of study, you will be prepared to build your own professional portfolio informed by a research project related to your studio practice.
There are regular visits from high-profile guest speakers from diverse professional backgrounds, such as Professor Phil Cleaver, Simon Roberts, Dewi Lewis, John Blakemore, Tom Hunter, Professor Jem Southam and Julian Calder.
- Photography: Fashion and Documentary (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Traditional Processes (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Studio and Digital Practice (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Culture and Contexts (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Editorial Practice (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Concept and Development (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Social Practice (30 credits) – Compulsory
- The Critical Image (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Professional Toolkit (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Negotiated Practice (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Photography: Professional Portfolio (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Critical and Contextual Research Project (30 credits) – Compulsory